It’s been pretty crazy over here. We had one of the worst snowstorms in years on Friday and I came down with the stomach flu. Today I am resting up and cuddling with the bulldog.
The dog has had a lot of fun running through the snow drifts at the park. The snow drifts are bigger then he is! Several weeks ago I baked up a batch of vegan french toast cupcakes and in the wake of the snowstorm/flu I feel now is the time to post them!
I still need to tweak the recipe, the cupcake itself was a little bit too dense, next time I make them I will be trying to lighten the batter.
The maple syrup buttercream however was a dream and I will be keeping that recipe as is! The cake is a cinnamon and nutmeg vanilla cake infused with maple syrup. While not yet perfect they are still delicious!
Even the dog wanted a bite!
French Toast Cupcakes
1 cup soymilk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 + 1/4 cup flour
2 tbl corn starch
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 + 1/4 tsp maple extract
1 tsp vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Whisk together soy milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside
- Sift together the flour, corn starch, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt
- Add oil, sugar and extracts to the soy milk mixture
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine
- Bake for 20-22min
1/4 cup margarine
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbl of maple syrup (or more to taste)
- Cream together the margarine and shortening
- Add the powdered sugar a little at a time, alternating with the maple syrup
- Combine and add the vanilla
- Taste and decide if it needs more maple syrup!