I am not a morning person. Anybody who has lived with me can attest that in the mornings it is best to leave me alone. The one and only thing I like about mornings is breakfast. I love breakfast. When I was a kid I would eat multiple bowls of cereal every morning. My biggest disappointment as a grown up buying my own groceries was how expensive cereal was. The solution? Homemade granola. There are many variations on granola, I wrote about coconut granola previously. This is just a basic recipe to start your morning right. It takes no time to throw together and just 30 minutes to bake.
It is the building blocks of the granola of your dreams. Add whatever flavour combinations you want, pour yourself a big bowl and enjoy!
3 cups rolled oats (not minute oats, or quick oats)
3/4 cup hulled unsalted sunflower seeds (or other seed/nut of your choice)
1 tbl cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tbl apple sauce
1 tbl canola oil
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup pepitas
- Pre-heat oven to 325
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Mix together the oats, sunflower seeds, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large measuring cup or separate bowl mix together the maple syrup, apple sauce and oil
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until the oat mixture is coated
- Spread the mixture out on the baking sheet
- Bake for 15 min. then rotate the pan, stirring the granola
- Bake for an additional 15min or until golden brown